Wednesday, May 24, 2017
Account Login  
Username
Password

  need help?  
 
Search By Keyword
Breaking News Alerts
Email Alerts
Email Address
Text Alerts
Mobile Number
 )  - 
Mobile Provider
standard messaging rates apply
UPDATE: 4th shooting suspect named, bonds set at half million $
Published:
5/9/2017 2:42:11 PM
Last Updated:
5/12/2017 4:21:13 PM


D’Angelo Lewis
 

Levon Junior Campbell
 

Daniel Reshawn Bennett
 

By DEUCE NIVEN

Friday
    A fourth suspect in a May 3 gun battle that left three people injured has been identified, new warrants obtained each of the men, and bond set at $500,000 for two who surrendered Tuesday.
    Maecas Chatell Mitchell, 40, of Sidney Cherry Grove Road, Clarendon, was identified Thursday as the man witnessed had called "Macon" following the Lewis Street shootings, Chief Donald Dowless of the Tabor City Police Department said.
    Previously identified suspects were Levon Junior Campbell, 21, of US 701, Loris; Daniel Reshawn Bennett, 19, of Lewis Street, Whiteville, and D'Angelo Lewis, 30, of Queen Street, Tabor City.
    Initial warrants were for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, and related to the shooting of Kelonte Marquese Stanley, who police believe was targeted in the gunfire.
    New warrants charge all four men with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with serious injury and discharging a firearm into occupied property.
    Campbell and Bennett surrendered at the Columbus County Detention Center Thursday. First appearance hearings were held for both men Friday, Dowless said, with bond set at $500,000 on the shooting related charges. If the men are able to make bond, provisions of those bonds call for an increase to $1 million if any conditions for their release are violated, Dowless said.
   Anyone with information on the location of Lewis or Mitchell is asked to contact the Tabor City Police Department of to call 911.

May 11, afternoon
   
Daniel Reshawn Bennett is in custody, too, the second of four men sought in connection with last week's shooting spree on Lewis Street in Tabor City (see previous posts below).
    Bennett, 19, of Whiteville, was being processed on the Tabor City Police Department warrant charging him with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, Chief Donald Dowless said.
    Levon Junior Campbell, who surrendered on the same charge Thursday morning, was held without bond in the shooting case, with bonds totaling $16,000 on five unrelated failure to appear in court warrants, sheriff's spokeswoman Michelle Tatum said.
    Look for updates here as events warrant, and a wrap-up in the next Tabor-Loris Tribune in print and online.

May 11, morning

    Levon Junior Campbell is in custody, the first of four men sought in connection with a May 3 shooting spree that left three people injured, Capt. Greg Sibbett of the Tabor City Police Department said Thursday morning.
    Campbell, 21, of U.S. 701, Loris, surrendered at the Columbus County Sheriff's Office, where the Tabor City warrant charging him with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury was served, Sibbett said.
    Warrants charging Campbell with five counts of failing to appear in court were also served, Columbus County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Michelle Tatum said. Campbell was initially held without bond being set, Tatum said.
    Suspects D'Angelo Lewis, 20, of Tabor City and Daniel Reshawn Bennett, 19, of Whiteville remain at large, Sibbett said. Police are making progress identifying a fourth suspect, identified by witnesses only as "Macon," Sibbett said. That name may prove to be inaccurate, the captain said.
    Look for updates here as events warrant, and a recap in the next Tabor-Loris Tribune in print and online.

May 9
     Four men appear to be on the run, with warrants obtained for three in the aftermath of gunfire that left three people injured on Lewis Street last week.
     Although no life threatening injuries resulted from the gunfire, charges in the warrants obtained Thursday are for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, and are related only to the victim for whom police believe the bullets were intended, Capt. Greg Sibbett said.
     Charged in those warrants are:
•    D’Angelo Lewis, 30, of Queen Street, Tabor City
•    Levon Junior Campbell, 21, of U.S. 701, Loris
•    Daniel Reshawn Bennett, 19, of West Lewis Street, Whiteville
     Police are working to identify a fourth suspect, known as “Macon,” Sibbett said. Anyone with information on the case is asked to contact the Tabor City Police Department.
     Police do not believe the gunfire in Tabor City is related to shooting incidents in the Finklea Community and in Longs early last week that left two men dead, Sibbett said.
    For more on this story see this week's Tabor-Loris Tribune in print and online.
 
Current Conditions
77°F
Partly cloudy
Tabor City, NC
Radar & More >>
Advertisers
click ad below for details
  • Show All Ads
    Tabor City News - Loris News - Green Sea News - Tabor City Newspaper - Loris Newspaper - Green Sea Newspaper